Martin Luther King Jr Day Assembly

Rylie Nupcharoen, Reporter

Starting off the assembly, students Marissa Douglas (11) and Kali Martin (12) giving a brief introduction to the guest speaker Dr. McLean Dade before she began her speech.

After a long three day weekend, the students of Sehome gathered into the gym for an assembly addressing Black History Month and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The assembly was used as a way to celebrate and represent the powerful history of black individuals that don’t get half of the recognition they deserve for their sacrifices and contributions that  helped shape our world.

Originally, the assembly was set to occur separately in January for MLK Day but was  later modified to include parts of Black History Month. It was cancelled in January due to a weather related school closure. The assembly’s main focus was Black History Month while addressing the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

The assembly began with an introduction from Marissa Douglas (11) and Kali Martin (12), which lead into the performance of the national anthem sung by Linnea Devange (12), Casey Malone (12), and Sara Hageman (12).

Douglas then introduced speaker Dr. McLean Dade, a professor at WWU who was kind enough to come speak to our school. Dr. Dade addressed topics of race, racism, and some of the historical black figures that traditionally aren’t mentioned in the standard curriculum. This assembly was a crucial reminder of the struggles black people were subjected to, their unfair representation and deeply rooted systematic disadvantages that  people of color still face to this day. As a school we came together to address and open up discussion about how the academic curriculum continuously fails to provide adequate representation and coverage on black history, which isn’t only crucial for black students but students of all races. It’s important to understand the history of all races and have an understanding that the fight still isn’t over. Black people still face inaccurate representation and discrimination nearly everyday.

Shortly after Dr. Dade’s speech, the Sehome Orchestra finished off the assembly by performing Birch Bay Celebration Bayside Rendezvous, as a slideshow played showing moments of Dr. Kings legacy and images that represent the fight that continues for racial equality.