‘The Office’s’ Growing Popularity

Simone Westerlund, Op/Ed Editor

Caption: From left: John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, Brian Baumgartner, Ed Helms, Steve Carell. ‘The Office’ cast members pose for a photo while shooting the second episode, ‘Fun Run,’ of the fourth season.
Source: NBC

The show ‘The Office’ originally produced by NBC, and released in 2005, is the most-watched show on the streaming service Netflix. The show was originally based on the British sitcom “The Office” created by Ricky Gervais in 2001. The US version has been a staple on Netflix, and was streamed by viewers for more than 52 million minutes in 2018 – 20 million more than the second-most-watched show, “Friends.”

`The Office’,” is a mockumentary-style sitcom based around the everyday life of employees at a paper company managed by a wacky boss and his employees with distinctive personalities that often clash in office disputes.

In the new hit podcast, ‘The Office Ladies,’ cast members Angela Kinsey and Jenna Fischer discuss memories and details of their experiences working on ‘The Office’. In their second episode, they discuss how most cast members weren’t sure the show was going to be picked up for a second season and grew in popularity as the show went on.

The show’s witty and awkward comedy was aimed at an older adult age group and was shown at night as a sitcom on NBC. Producers and directors weren’t aware of how much the show would grow as Generation Z came of age.

Many teenagers cite the show to be “therapeutic,” with it’s witty comedy and simple conflicts and circumstances. Sehome student Adrian van’t Hoog (12) commented on his love for ‘The Office’. “I think that it got so much traction because it shows such a regular life. It’s kind of non-eventful in a way, but also the humor is funny and witty enough to keep it interesting. I think it’s a good balance between humor and everyday situations,” van’t Hoog said.

The lack of drama and emotion draws people in, as essentially a comforting and happy show. Many people appreciate that ‘The Office’ is witty, awkward, and real. Hit singer Billie Eilish proclaims herself to be a ‘superfan’ of ‘The Office,’ and was featured in a billboard interview with ‘The Office’ cast member Rainn Wilson. Her music is extremely popular among the generation who also would call themselves ‘Office addicts.’

All in all, ‘The Office’ creates comfort through the comedy of Michael Scott and the wit of the personalities of the popular characters.