Sehome’s Opinions on Grammy Nominations

Brooks Frere, Reporter

The trophy, a depiction of a gramophone given to the winners to recognize their achievements.

Most students at Sehome always have headphones in when walking around the school, music is appreciated by many students here and the Grammy’s show the popular music throughout the year. The recording companies and recording academy members have voted on musicians to win a Grammy award for their album or song, and on January 26th the winners of the awards will be announced, along with many performances from Grammy nominees. The Grammys occur every year, covering many genres of music. This is a good way to recognize artists for their music and accomplishments through the music. Each genre is in a separate category so artists all have a fair opportunity to win a Grammy award.

Billie Eilish; the 18 year old up for six Grammys this year, as well as being a popular choice for new artist of the year, at the billboard awards in may of 2019.

In Sehome, we have a diverse community with differing interests in music genres, styles, and artists. Which means we have many different opinions on Grammy winners. The nominated albums for album of the year were ‘I,I’ by Bon Iver,  ‘Norman Rockwell’ by Lana del Rey, ‘when we fall asleep where do we go’ by Billie Eilish, ‘Thank you, next’ Ariana Grande, ‘I used to know her’ by H.E.R, ‘7’ by Lil Nas x, ‘Cuz I love you’ by Lizzo, and ‘Father of the bride’ by Vampire Weekend. The album of the year category is well represented by many genres, so it represents all of the music styles students have. Of all the albums, a majority of students chose ‘Norman Rockwell’ by Lana del Rey to be their favorite. Lana del Rey is a popular artist among many students at Sehome, and she has gained popularity throughout the past couple of years.

Lana del Rey, her album picked as album of the year by students, posing at the billboard awards early in 2019

Rap is another popular genre at Sehome, the nominations for rap album of the year are; ‘The lost boy’ by Ybn Cordae, ‘Igor’ by Tyler the Creator, ‘I am>I was’ by 21 Savage, ‘Championships’ by Meek Mill, and ‘Revenge of the Dreamers III’ by Dreamville. The majority of students at Sehome picked Igor by Tyler the Creator for rap album of the year picked  although there is much controversy over this album. To be nominated for rap album of the year, the album must contain at least 51% rap which Igor is not. Tyler was also nominated for rap album of the year in 2018 with Flower Boy. Tyler is also a very popular artist and Sehome due to his artistic and unique style of music. Some people believe that he should’ve been nominated for album of the year instead of rap album of the year. The other popular rap album voted for was ‘I am> I was’ by 21 savage. He is nominated for rap song as well with “a lot” off of the album. Last year, 21 Savage was nominated for “Rockstar” with Post Malone for Record if the year.

Tyler the Creator, picked as the rap album of the year by the students and also a Grammy performer, on stage at his concert earlier in 2019.

An interesting category for the Grammys is best new artist, and there are eight new artists nominated this year; Black Pumas, Billie Eilish, Lil nas X, Lizzo, Maggie Rogers, Rosalía, Tank and the Bangas and Yola. The majority of students picked Billie Eilish for best new artist. The young artist quickly built a fan base and a new edge to pop music within the last year. Her most popular song is “Bad Guy” which is also up for record of the year. Even though she is a newer artist, she was nominated for six Grammys this year. Lil Nas X was also a popular choice due to his song “Old Town Road” nominated for record of the year and “7” his album up for album of the year. Lil Nas X became popular out of nowhere and reached the charts with “Old town Road” and “Panini” both on his album 7.

The Grammy award show is not only about awards. There are many performances by people nominated and other popular artists. The 2020 Grammys features performances by Aerosmith, Camelia Cabello, Brandi Carlile,Billie Eilish, Kirk Franklin, Ariana Grande,H.E.R, The Jonas brothers, John Legend, Lizzo, Demi Lovato, Meek Mill, Bonnie Raitt, Roddy Ricch, Rosalía, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, Tyler the Creator, Charlie Wilson and YG. The performances represent many different genres and many of the artists are Grammy nominated this year.

The Grammys have a lot of their decisions also based off of the popularity of songs, which frustrates some people and has drawn people away from the Grammys. It is more on recognizing people who got on the billboard for their accomplishments. So, although not all people may agree, they try to stick with the majority. Hopefully the Grammys in the future can choose the genres of songs and albums more carefully, so they can be better represented, but for now, everyone is still waiting to see what happens on January 26 at the Grammy awards.