Sehome Rugby Team

Graham Glendening, Reporter

With 2019 coming to an end, spring sports are right around the corner. There will be a new addition to the list of sports under Sehome’s name in the 2021 season. That addition is a rugby team. While not being fully sponsored by the school, rugby will be available for students to sign up for during the spring of 2021. And will have the same relationship with the school district as lacrosse and sailing.

Because the club is not fully sponsored by the school the club gets to pick their coaches. Colin Cushman, the athletic director at Sehome, mentioned, “the games will be played at the rugby complex because our fields at the school are not regulation size or lined correctly for rugby,” Cushman said. Cushman also mentioned that Sehome’s opponents would be other clubs from the Seattle area and Vancouver as well.

Thomas Davenport (12) runs with the ball as two defenders chase after him. “Rugby is an amazing experience and I hope lots of people come out for the team next year,” Davenport said.

Craig Brown, a coach and member at the Chuckanut Rugby Club, will be helping finalize the team at Sehome.“ The technical adviser for the team will be Titi Lamositele, who graduated in 2013 and plays for the USA National Team,” Brown said. The head and assistant coach are TBD. “We missed the opportunity to compete in the spring of 2020 but we will be ready for the 2021 season and we are ready to reach a wide audience in schools,” Brown said. Brown noted that rugby is a fun and inclusive sport where everyone gets to run with the ball to score and tackle on defense. Rugby is also a very intense sport and is good for off-season training.

Although rugby won’t start until the spring on 2021, Sehome is looking forward to having a new team and hoping to have a big turnout.