It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Bridge Building Skillz: The annual bridge building competition will be held on January 14th and 15th in Mark Toney's AP Physics I classes. This will be a first time of participating in the competition for many students including Adin Sokol (11). "I'm going to get together with some of my friends in physics and having a bridge building get together," Sokol said. "I'll probably start designing it over winter break."

Yoshimi Lin, Arts/Media Editor

As the 2019 comes to an end and students approach the winter holidays and break, the annual Bridge Building event comes to an approach and students in AP Physics I at Sehome begin to start the construction of their bridges.

The bridge building competition has been a long going event that started in 1985, organized by Jack Crandell, a previous Physics teacher at Sehome. From then on, students from the region would construct a bridge that followed the requirements and regulations of the International Bridge Building Contest. Sehome currently is the only school that requires all AP Physics I students to participate in this event, and from there, the top five students from the school compete at the regional competition this year taking place at Bellingham High School in March.

Weeks before the break, Mark Toney, Physics teacher, presents the assignment as well as provides the necessary materials and information needed for the bridge construction. The materials consist of “official 3/32-inch square cross-section basswood and any commonly available adhesive” according to the 2020 International Bridge Building Contest Rules.

This will be the 43rd International Bridge Building competition and Sehome has advanced to nationals 21 times, holding the first place title in years 1990, 1999, and 2000.

For a majority of students, this will be their first year participating in the bridge building competition and will create their bridge based off of their own knowledge and creativity.

“To be honest, I’m pretty nervous [about the bridge building competition],” said Adin Sokol (11). “It’s going to be a lot of work and it’s also stressful because if I do bad on it, it will affect my grade in the class quite a bit.” Sokol is currently in AP Physics 1 and plans to use his knowledge from Applied Physics to incorporate into his design for the bridge.

With the limited possibilities for construction designs, students will test their final product on January 14th and January 15th. As written on the board in Toney’s room, “Bridge Spirits will be crushed on Jan 14. or Jan.15. No late bridges!! No excuses!!” It will determine the top five contestants that will advance to regionals.