State Update

Smack: Tully Scott (12) sends a forehand his opponents way. Scott was playing Lynden and beat his opponent in two sets with scores of 6-0 and 6-1. “My biggest weakness is having too much fun,” Scott said, “and don’t forget to mention how good looking I am”.

Boys tennis is off to state, but in the spring. Their state matches will be held at the University of Washington in late May. Tully Scott (12), Carter Birade (11), and Matthew Holroyd (11) are the only players going onto state from Sehome. Scott and Birade will be playing as doubles partners while Holroyd will be playing singles. Scott and Birade’s hardest competition they had going into state was playing against Bellingham High School during districts. Going into state, the duo fear only a few things. “I’m nervous about playing in front of a large audience,” Scott said. “The stakes are a lot higher,” Birade added. Holroyd has the same fears but they don’t outweigh what he’s confident in. “My biggest strength is my forehand, especially my inside out forehand,” Holroyd said. Holroyd has been playing tennis for six years, and this will be his first time going to state. On the other hand, Scott is veteran. He didn’t get to play last year because of a broken collarbone but is trying to bounce back this year. This will also be Birade’s first year playing at state. Last year, he made it to districts for singles. His strength is his net play while Scott’s is his mental toughness.

Winner Winner: The boys’ cross country power house team won state again. This is their eighth consecutive year of winning. “I was most nervous about losing our seven year winning streak,” Jacob Alexander (12) said. 

They did it again; cross country just added another year to their winning streak. They have now won state 8 years in a row. In order to make it to state, the Mariners had to be the top three for districts. Their biggest competition was Steilacoom High School. “They had three really fast people and were similar speeds to Sehome’s number one and number two runners,” Jacob Alexander (12) said. Alexander is captain of the team and has been running cross country since the sixth grade. His biggest strength is his kick. “Anyone within 30m of me will lose,” Alexander said. This was his fourth year going to state and his fourth state team title.

Girls’ Swim and Dive did great at state, placing 11th overall. Coming from one of the most competitive districts, with the top three teams all from their district, they were ready to take on the challenge. Joyce Kim (12), a four year state competitor, felt the team’s biggest strength was captaining. However, this didn’t prevent her from being nervous. “I was most nervous for the 200 Medley Relay because I was swimming with completely different people than I swam with at districts,” Kim said.

Girls’ Cross Country competed better than they were predicted to. Josie Marriner (12), a first time Cross Country runner, felt the hardest meet going into state was districts. “There was a very big hill,” Marriner said. While expected to win fourth, the team managed to swipe a third place victory, behind Ellensburg High School and Bellingham High School. Marriner says her biggest weakness is not being a distance runner, however, she still competed on the state team, helping secure third place for the Girls’ Cross Country team.

Girls’ soccer made the run to state. They only lost two games in the regular season against Lynden and West Seattle. They headed into districts and beat Lakewood and lost to Cedarcrest 0-2. Then the next two games they beat Archbishop Murphy and Sammamish. Their first state game they lost a heartbreaking defeat against Port Angeles. Payton Kapp (12) was very disappointed in the loss, “It was very upsetting to lose an early game at state. But I had some very good moments with my team that I will never forget,” Kapp said. This is the second time Kapp has been to state. The first time was last year when the girls made it to the championship but lost a close one. The girls were looking to win it this year but it was unsuccessful.

Girls volleyball qualified for state and were the tenth seed going into state. They had a winning season heading into state. Their first game going to state they played the Washington Patriots and lost a very close game. “This is my first time going into state I am very excited,” Josie Wilson (10) said. They played outstanding teams but ended up coming up short in both games knocking them out of the tournament. “It was super sad to lose against those teams, we could have won, but we didn’t,” Cam Hodges (12) said. Even though they lost they still had a very good season beating teams that they didn’t think they could beat throughout the regular season.