Why daylight savings?

Marsaili Morin, Features Editor

Which way?- People around the globe are deciding whether or not they think daylight savings should stay or go.

Daylight savings was first created to save energy and make better use of sunlight. How can we do that when the sun sets right as we get out of school during the winter season? Answer: you can’t make better use of the sunlight or you have to skip school to enjoy it. The myth of farmers creating daylight savings is false, in fact they rebelled against the idea. It was originally implemented in 1918 during World War One to save daylight, but wasn’t particularly needed after the war. Since we’re nearing the end of an era, should we make the choice to get rid of daylight savings for good?

There are mixed emotions on whether we should keep the early nights or late days, but one thing is for sure, we need to choose one or the other. “I wish we would stay on one or the other, probably just the one we had and not this one,” Jane Yaude (science teacher) said,“because I like to have my evenings a little bit longer than the sun going down at 4 or 4:30.” Yaude, being a science teacher, knows about the studies of how daylight savings isn’t very helpful to the new world today. With more car crashes happening in the six days after turning back the clocks, and having shorter days, it has shown that one hour can throw off anyone’s entire sleep schedule.  “It takes people a long time to change their circadian rhythm; it doesn’t just happen in a day or two it… so there’s a high mortality rate after the change of daylight savings and it has to do with people being too tired,” Yaude said.

Even though high schoolers are already too tired to being going to school, at least we get one more hour of sleeping in, right? “I think it gives students a chance to have an extra hour before school, but it kind of ruins schedules sometimes, but helps sometimes,” Sophia McMurray (11) said. The consensus at this point is that jumping back an hour is used for people to sleep-in these days, because we no longer really need to save daylight, like back in the old days. Marcus Kanenaga (10) commented that, “I feel like at this point it’s more pointless for us because it usually just makes people more tired,” Kanenaga (10) said. It seems that extra hour of sleep doesn’t really help most people.

Now that the teacher and students have spoken, what should we make of this? There are two main sides to this controversy, but one is more promptly winning. You either enjoy the extra hour of sleep with the nights starting at 4 p.m. or you want to keep the days as they are without jumping back an hour. In the modern day vote, we would choose for no change to keep the days as they are so that we don’t throw off our schedules.

So what’s the next step to ending daylight savings, since other places around the world don’t use it? Well, you can sign a petition online so that you don’t have to flipping your clock back an hour in November and springing it back in March.