Fall Sports Update

Brooks Frere, Reporter

Fall sports are finally coming to a close. Athletes, students, and parents are wondering how each team did this season and if any teams will be fortunate enough to make it to the postseason.

Tim Malo (11) reaches out for the ball in the end zone over the opposing player.

The last football game of the regular season, scheduled to take place on October 25 against Bellingham, has been cancelled due to Bellingham’s shortage of players. The football team is 6-2 and will be moving on to the playoffs with an away game on  September first against Burlington Edison. When asked about the football season, Tim Malo(11) said “A lot of young players are stepping up and doing their job which is key. Our team chemistry is very good as well.”

Sehome soccer’s seniors lined up for senior night against meridian on October 22.

For the Sehome girl’s soccer team, there are two games remaining in their season. October 22 was Senior Night against Meridian, where they won 7 to 0 for their 10th league win this season. They lost one league game against West Seattle on October 19th and only have one home game remaining on October 28th against Sedro-Woolley.

Volleyball’s next home game is October 31st against Sedro-Woolley. This is also the last regular season game. Sehome Volleyball is currently 8-2 in league after a win against meridian. They will move on to districts starting November 5th. Aspen Garrison (11), a starter for Sehome’s volleyball team, shared her thoughts about this season. “We are doing super well and have a good shot at state,” Garrison said. “We work hard in practice and play for the team to work towards our goals.”  Garrison is confident that the team will make it to state due to how their season has gone so far.

Sehome girls swim and dive team is 6-0 after their last win against Bellingham 131 to 52. The rest of the meets all take place at Arne Hanna.  Post season started on October 28th and will last for 3 weeks. “We had a great season and finished second in our conference.” Andrea Kelsh (12) said. “I’m looking forward to our championship meets such as districts and state.”  

Warren Rose (11) gets ready to serve the ball during a doubles match with Garret Capristo (11) at the new Sehome tennis courts.

The Sehome boys tennis team is also undefeated in the regular season and are now competing in district matches, where they are 1-1. In their last regular season win was against Lakewood, Sehome shut them out 7 to 0. Warren Rose shared good thoughts about the season. “Our season went great, we went undefeated with lots of improvement throughout the team with multiple state contenders.” Rose said. “There were tough matchups but overall we did very well as a team with people going to state for both singles and doubles.”