One Dramatic Day

Casey Crocker, Reporter

Every year, the Washington State Thespian Society run auditions for all seniors in the state. This year, the auditions took place on Saturday, October 12 at Roosevelt High School in Seattle and hosted 26 Colleges from in state and across the country. Colleges from in-state included Central Washington University, Seattle University, and Eastern Washington University. Colleges from out of state included AMDA College of the Performing Arts, New York Film Academy, and Northern Arizona University. The event started at 8 a.m. Saturday morning, after all participants had received their audition order. During the days leading up to their upcoming auditions, seniors were expected to prepare two contrasting monologues or songs from a theatrical production of their choice.

Lainie Mueller (12), Jonathan Snavely (12), Tori Purpura (12), and Radesh Muchirawehondo (12) all participated in the event this year.

“Theater has played a big role in my high school experience so far, and its shaped a lot of who I am,“ Snavely said. “I didn’t feel too confident about my performance right after my auditions, I kinda messed up my first monologue because I was nervous, but a lot of the colleges looked pas t my slip up and still called me back.” Snavely picked two classical monologues for his performance. The first being from “The Bear” by Anton Chekhov, and the second being from “Winter’s Tale” by William Shakespeare.

Another one of the participants, Tori Purpura chose a monologue along with a musical performance. She played Jillian from “Skid Marks”, and sang “Never Enough” from “The Greatest Showman”. Her song required assistance from a pianist, allowed by the competition. “I think my performances went really well,” Purpura said. “I don’t actually remember the performances themselves because I was pretty nervous, but I’m glad I got over my nerves and did it.” The order of the 66 participants was selected randomly.

Muchirawehondo was one of these participants, and he was placed at number 66; the very last spot on the roster. This was also only his second audition of his career, the first being for the Sehome production of Treasure Island in the fall. “It was a very nerve-racking experience for me, because you know I haven’t done theater for very long,” Muchirawehondo said. “As soon as I walked into the audition room I got pretty flabbergasted, there were around 30-40 people watching me.” Muchirawehondo spoke about the feeling he had after the auditions. “It felt so good to have all that stress behind me and to get compliments from the colleges who called me back.”