Fugitive Shutdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fugitive Shutdown

Coleman Brummel and Thomas Davenport

The last time fugitive was played by the students of Sehome High School, many phone calls were made to the Bellingham P.D. and the game was officially shut down.However throughout the years, the game has never been called off. This makes students wonder why the game was stopped by the police this time and not other times, and if the game will be shut down forever.

Fugitive was last played at the beginning of the school year. The game was ended by the Bellingham P.D. on the second round of the game on the way back up to Sehome from the Fairhaven green. “Bellingham P.D. shut down the game because students were running through the middle of the road screaming and it looked like kids were getting kidnapped,” said Jax Gudbranson (12) (organizer of fugitive/assassination). After the police officially shut down the game, students politely walked back up to Sehome and went home for the night.

A student that was questioned by the police, Thomas Kanenaga (12), thinks the P.D. completely misunderstood the game. “They were concerned about the key principles of the game and why students were being basically abducted by other students,” Kanenaga said. “I told the officer that students were not being kidnapped and that students were playing a game. I then apologized for the misunderstanding and told the officer that we would let them know when we were playing in the future.” 

In the future, Sehome students need to make sure to not trespass or do anything illegal to ensure a safe environment for the public and themselves. If Gudbranson would change the game for next time he would, “remind people to not run in the street in front of cars and to respect people’s property rights.” This will ultimately better assure the students of Sehome that their game won’t get shut down.

However, this game is still dangerous to the community, and police officers. When taggers see their targets their adrenaline goes up and they focus on other things and may not see another person walking across the road. “When they (fugitives) see headlights what are they gonna do? Duck into alleys and run away,” Lieutenant Murphy from the B.P.D. told The Rising Tide in an interview recently. “This behavior is identical to criminal activity. What if the headlights they see are those of police officers? That police officer will then go and investigate which takes them away from actual criminal activity,” Murphy said. This could totally put the community in danger because the other closest police officer (that isn’t investigating something) could be five minutes away from the victim in a domestic violence scene.