Mariner Spotlight: Bethany Barrett

Meet our new Assistant Principal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mariner Spotlight: Bethany Barrett

Marsaili Morin, Features Editor

Last school year, the now Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors, said goodbye to some well-loved administrators and teachers. Now, Sehome is welcoming the new bunch of administrators to the Sehome community. Though the student body is still getting adjusted to the new school year and new rules, one way to get more comfortable is to know about who is helping and supporting the community of Sehome Mariners.

Coming in from the administrator’s office, Bethany Barrett, or as she should be called Ms. Barrett, is the new Assistant Principal.  “I was at the district office as a director of teaching and learning, so my job for about 5 years before here was to oversee programs that touch all the schools,” Barrett said. Even before working in the district office, she worked as an English teacher at Squalicum High School. “Right out of college, I student taught at Squalicum the first year it opened, back in 1998 and I got a job right away at Squalicum.”

Barrett has been working with all the schools in the Bellingham School District on how to include all cultures and make it a safe place for everyone. “I did the LGBTQ work for the district, so training teachers and working with families,” Barrett said. “I also worked with the equity diversity inclusion work and looked at some culturally responsive teaching practices and how to develop a system that allows us to reach all students instead of just the students we traditionally reach, you can categorize as white middle class students.”

Outside of school, Barrett is a laid back, outdoorsy mother who just wants to be mountain biking at Galbraith. “I am a recent mountain biker. I just learned how to mountain bike last year, and I love it more than anything in the whole world. I wish I could do it all the time,” Barrett said. “In fact, one of the exciting things about moving to Sehome is being so close to Galbraith, so sometimes I bring my bike to work and then after work I don’t have to go all the way home; I just go straight to the trail.” The next time you’re walking down the hall and see Barrett, ask her about how she is going to start a new mountain biking club at Sehome.

As the new Assistant Principal of Sehome, she doesn’t know many students, as it is only the beginning of the school year, but she is ready to make new friends among the student body and hear their voices and opinions. “I am really looking forward to getting to know more students,” Barrett said.