Highlights on Fall Sports Athletes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Highlights on Fall Sports Athletes

Graham Glendening and Brooks Frere

As the fall sports are getting into the start of the season, we interviewed players from the teams about how they think their season will go. 

Jacob Kaepernick (11) is a captain on the football team as well as the starting quarterback; he has been playing football for six years. Alongside football Kaepernick also plays baseball in the spring and summer time. This helps him stay in shape and compete at a high-level throughout the year in both sports. After the football team’s first game Kaepernick said, “there’s always thing the team can work on, but the game was exciting there was a good crowd and it was nice to get a overtime win against Nooksack.” Kaepernick also mentioned that he has lots of confidence in the young athletes, “If we play our game this year, we will make it far,” Kaepernick said.  All in all, Kaepernick sounded pleased in the football team and is looking forward to this season. 

Haley Henderson (11) is a captain on the slow pitch team as well as a key player on the Fastpitch team. Henderson plays and practices these sports year-round. The slow pitch teams next game is on October 5th. “I’m excited and ready to see where the teams at for the beginning of our season we have young athletes, but I think that everyone will be ready.”Henderson said. She is super enthusiastic about the returning team and the new players. She’s ready to see how the team works together. 

Kiley Thramer (11) is a star player and teammate on the unified bowling team. The team only has one meet a season until then they just practice and work together. “The meets are always very positive and each person bowls with a partner,” Thramer said.  The team’s goals for this season are to make it to postseason and bowl as much as they can. Add more maybe when there on meet is and where.

Janie Wilson (12), one of the three Sehome varsity captains, has been playing soccer since she was four. When not playing soccer, Wilson runs track and does gymnastics. Their first soccer game was a pre-season game against Ferndale, and they ended up tying 2-2. This was a good start to their season.“Our goal for this season is to make it to state again.” Wilson said. Come support Sehome Soccer at their next home game is on Thursday October 3rd versus Squalicum at 7pm.   

Tully Scott (12), plays tennis for Sehome and is excited for the season. He sees lots of potential for young players on the team. Sehome won the overall match 5-2 against Squalicum on Tuesday September 10. Scott believes that this is a good indicator that they will have a good season. He won his divisional match as well. “Come on out and support Sehome tennis on the new courts” Scott said. Scott seems to be confident in his team to do well this season.

Jacob Alexander (12) a captain for the cross country team was interviewed after they had their first meet Saturday September 14th and it went well. A freshman on the team won the freshman boys race and beat the record for his grade in the 2 mile freshman boys and is now ranked number 1 in the race for the freshman in the division. Roman Schroyer (11)for  Sehome Cross Country team also won in the 2 mile junior boys race. They took second behind Arlington according to the meet scoring and Alexander believes that this is a great start to their season. Overall, their goals are to win state and possibly move on to nationals. Alexander sees a lot of young talent and has lots of confidence in his team. They hope to continue their state streak and make it further then they have in the past.

Cam Hodges (12) a player on Sehomes volleyball interviewed after the team had their first official game Thursday against Anacortes and won, Hodges hopes that this reflects how their season will go as they had 20 aces which they haven’t done before in the past. Hodges would like to hopefully make it to state, but they need to make sure to stay focused throughout the whole game so they don’t lose the games they should win.