Sports Run Down

Scott Wilson, a Sehome alumni, is now Sehome’s head sailing coach as well as the program director. He has been coaching for 15 years and 10 of those years have been with Sehome. Wilson often races locally, around the northwest, and also sailed in college. His motivation for coaching is the fact that he thinks sailing is a great sport. “I love sailing and I thought we should have a sailing team. It’s a great sport that requires a lot of physical endurance and intelligence,” Wilson said. He is feeling good about this season after getting 2nd in districts last year, which qualified the team for nationals.. “Our biggest competition this year will be Gig Harbor High School. They have a great team and will be fighting hard to win districts,” Wilson said. 

Beth Kealy, who cheered in high school, is the head coach for the Sehome cheerleaders. She has been coaching Sehome cheer for 3 years now. “The reason I became a cheer coach is I wanted to increase the school spirit at Sehome. The cheer team is one of the most visible groups of athletes,” Kealy said. She has made it clear that the cheer squad is working really hard this year and constantly improving. This season is going to be very different for the cheer squad. 12 out of the 16 people on cheer squad are new to the team, and half of the cheer squad are freshman. For the first time since Kealy has been coaching, the cheer squad will be competing at a regional cheer competition in November. “I’m excited for the opportunity,” Kealy said.  

Selena Arciniega, who was a dance major at UC Santa Barbara and the University of Washington, is now the dance coach for Sehome. This is her 8th year coaching. “I coach to provide opportunity, through dance, for students to exercise commitment, accountability, integrity and trust, while enriching their high school experience by creating lasting memories

and friendships. These are some of the ways my own high school dance team experience benefitted me and I want to pass that onto others,” Arciniega said. The dance team is student run. This year it is lead by team captain Madison Dominguez alongside technique officer Maysee Russell and fitness officer Rachel Lemmer. “We are very excited about the new season because most of the members are returners so we can continue where we left off last year! Our two newest members, Sierra Hawes and Gabriel Colman, are doing an excellent job keeping up the pace,” Arciniega said. The dance team is trying something new this year and adding a hip hop category for competition. They decided to add it this year because it is their favorite style of dance.  

Andria Fountain, a 14 year coaching veteran for Sehome’s girls soccer team is excited to start off the new season. Fountain has not been new to coaching, and she started coaching at the northwest summer camps in high school and college. She also started playing soccer at six years old. Fountain played at Western Washington University for four years. She then continued and played in women’s leagues. “Due to ongoing knee issues, I had to retire from playing several years ago and now I focus all my energy on coaching,” Fountain said. Last year the team finished 2nd in state and they have big expectations they have to live up to. “Ferndale, Squalicum, and Bellingham are some of our biggest competition this year,” Fountain said. She also mentioned that this season will be a comparative season to the others.

Mr. Helling, an English teacher at Sehome and a returning swim coach, is prepared to start the season strong. Helling has been coaching for 44 years and this his 86th season coaching for boys and girls swim and dive. Helling has many achievements and is a very experienced coach, “Teams that I have coached have won 10 state championships (including boys swim and one in girls golf).  I have also had the opportunity to coach numerous high school state champions, a few All-Americans, and two Olympic Trials qualifiers,” Helling said. Helling is also very excited and hopeful for the season. The district sehome is in is also the toughest in the state but he is confident the team should do well. He would also like to highlight essentially all of his swimmers but mostly the returnees including Joyce Kim and Sarah Leung. “I love the sport and I appreciate the type of self-motivated, academically inclined, and tough student who generally chooses to join the swim/dive team,” Helling said.