Boom boom fire power

A closer look at the Strength and Power Training PE classes

Cayden Larrosa

Many people as children have been told that exercising a minimum of 30 minutes per day can help cultivate a healthy body and mind.  However, the ability to take time for this has become increasingly difficult as the homework load increases and studies begin taking more of a student’s time. Many wonder how they can stay active while also finding time to balance their studies.  Two classes that these people find satisfactory are Strength and Power Training. 

These two classes give students their solid weekly dose of recommended exercise while having an enjoyable experience. Classes last 80 minutes, and as you have the class two to three times a week, it becomes significantly easier to account for a good balance of exercise and life. Whereas the two may sound similar, they differ in many different ways; strength refers to the ability to overcome resistance, while power refers to the ability to overcome resistance in the shortest period of time. 

Kristy VanEgdom, health and PE teacher, poses in the lunchroom.

Graham Gribble, health and PE teacher, poses for a photo. 

If you wish to gather more details, look no further than Graham Gribble (Health and Physical Education) and Kristy VanEgdom (Health and Physical Education), who train over 1,000 students that flood the halls of Sehome each day. Strength and Power Training takes place in many class periods to help aid in the growing student demand. Both of the teachers have an extensive experience in their field. Gribble owned a local gym known as Apex Fitness NW, and VanEgdom went to Western Washington University for PE and health endorsement and got her masters at Central Washington University. She also taught for a year in the education program at WWU and has taught at Sehome for six years. 

When asked what kind of student should take which class VanEgdom said, “Strength Interval training is more focused on endurance and getting your heart rate up, whereas power is going to be Olympic lifts. It’s going to be heavier weights, longer times and longer breaks,she said. 

The type of person you are is an influencing factor and can help you decide which class may appeal more to you. “It’s for everyone,” Gribble said. “Power is better geared to those who want to do sports, I think that interval training speaks to being really fit over being really strong,” he said. 

Cameron Morrow makes of the use of the lifting equipment for PE.

Many students find enjoyment in these class such as Cameron Morrow (10). “The most fun part of the class is the wonderful feeling of accomplishment you get when you finish a workout and the adrenaline you receive by pushing past your limits,” Morrow said. 

I took the class so I would be in better shape for wrestling,” Morrow said. 

According to the Ministry of Education, “Physical education in high school is essential to the development of motor skills and the enhancement of reflexes. Hand-eye coordination is improved, as well as good body movements, which helps in the development of a healthy body posture. Physical education teaches students the importance of physical health.” Classes like these not only can help someone improve their physical physique but can help build towards improved mental health as well.  As Captain America once said, “A sound body can lead to a sound mind.” 

The funnest part of the class is going into it hating everything, dragging your feet, and telling yourself you can’t do it, and then coming out of the weight room dripping wet after class having just pushed yourself farther than you though you could go,” Lainie Mueller (11) said. 

I took the class because I wanted to be a beast, and I ended up transforming not only physically, but mentally as well. It taught me how to push myself and to take no mercy if I’m just making excuses,” Mueller said. 

Students jog through the track provided.

To those taking the class next year: don’t stop pushing yourself, don’t settle. You may be great right now, but you can always be better. Remember why you started,” Mueller said. 

Next year can be an era of change for many people to discover who they are or just try something new. If you wish to sign up for either of these classes, be sure to talk to your counselors. If you wish to get more information, talk to either Gribble or VanEgdom. Sign up alone or with a friend. Either way it will be a transformative experience.