Sehome Star becomes 2nd Round Pick in NFL Draft

Former Sehome football player Taylor Rapp is drafted to LA Rams

Coleman Brummel, Sports Editor

Former Sehome football player Taylor Rapp recently was selected in the second round of the NFL draft by the Los Angeles Rams, making him the second person in Whatcom county to be drafted into the NFL.

Jake Locker, another known athlete around Whatcom county, was the other man to make the NFL out of Whatcom County. Locker however, played quarterback all throughout high school, college, and when he played for the Tennessee Titans. Unlike Locker, Rapp played almost everything in high school. From running back, to reciever, to corner, and finally the position he plays today: safety. Rapp played safety all throughout his three years at the University of Washington and was PAC-12 defensive freshman of the year in 2016. Rapp also made first and second team all conference in his sophomore and junior year at UW. This caught the attention of a plethora of NFL scouts, making him one of the top rated safeties going into the NFL combine.

Taylor Rapp and a gang of Sehome defenders prepare to tackle the ball carrier in a game in 2014.

Rapp did great at the NFL combine, scoring a 5.87/7. This mostly impressed head coach Sean McVay of the LA Rams, which eventually was the team who ended up drafting Rapp in the second round. McVay is the youngest coach in the NFL and led the LA Rams to the super bowl last year. This gives Rapp promising chances to be the first player in Whatcom county to win a super bowl. “Rapp will be a great addition to the team and will prove very useful at safety,” McVay said in an NFL conducted interview.

McVay is not the only one who has seen Rapp’s talent. NFL legend Hines Ward, former Wide Receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, had one piece of advice for Rapp as he entered the draft. “They say that asians can’t play football, turn all the hate into wins,” Ward said in an NFL conducted interview. Ward was a Superbowl champion with the Steelers and still holds the team record for receptions. Ward, like Rapp, is also an Asian American and believes that there is a bias in America that Asians can’t play football.

Through all the hate, hard work, and dedication, Rapp continuously impressed scouts and everyone in the world of football. Now it is time for his new journey, becoming a Ram and a professional football player.