A win for FBLA state

FBLA team qualifies for nationals after placing third at state

Dawson Grahn, Reporter

From FBLA or Future Business Leaders of America, three competitors got third place and qualified for nationals. They went to Bellevue and competed against other high schools across the state. Their event was banking and financial systems. Jackson Perkins (11), Ben Rosbach (11) and Thomas Kananga (11) were on the team. For their event they were given a topic and had to present it in 10 minutes.  Nationals are taking place in San Antonio, Texas, however, they will not be attending due to financial reasons. 

The team who placed in the top three from Sehome are all juniors. These students described the FBLA experience as a fun time where they didn’t really prepare as much as they could have. Instead they hung out in the hotel room and went shopping, but they still were able to qualify to nationals. The only way they prepared was meditation. Kananaga was also one of the members of the team that qualified for state. “I love FBLA. It was amazing to be able to qualify for nationals especially after no preparation. This shows that we Sehome are the best school in the state. From [academics] to athletics we the best,” Kananaga said.

As the team made their way to the event they did not know they were going to do as well as they did. “Anything is possible. This was one of the best feelings ever,” Rosbach said. “When you don’t prepare for something at all and you qualify for nationals it feels amazing,” he said. They worked hard during the event, however, and it payed off. Rosbach was one of the people that didn’t prepare but used the time to hang out with friends. In FBLA they give you 10 minutes to look over a certain event and prepare. After that you must present that event to a live crowd who will then judge you on how your solution was.

As they qualified for nationals, they were very surprised. But they will not be competing in Nationals due to not wanting to spend money on the trip. The team just doesn’t have enough time to go all the way down to San Antonio either. Therefore getting third in state was a good accomplishment to put on their resume for colleges.