Mariner Media

Missing: One Holy Grail

The new theatre’s first show ‘Spamalot’ opens this week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Missing: One Holy Grail

The Knights of the round table wait for the bus to find the grail at Sehome High School. Photo courtesy of Cayden Larrosa.

In this school of “firsts”, first assembly, first semester, first class to graduate in the gym, there is also the very first theatre production in the new Sehome. The drama department decided that a Monty Python spoof where a king uses an imaginary horse and inadequate knights to find a cup was the best fit for this momentous grand opening.

There are many aspects of this particular show that do make it historic, despite the silliness. For the first time there’s a student musical director and assistant director, tickets can be purchased on the website, there’s teacher cameos and much more.

This show will include a three-quarter fly space, mics for actors and spotlights. These allow more elaborate sets, smoother transitions and vocal clarity. All things that the department has done before in the Little Theatre, but now they can be taken even further.

Despite the new facilities, Laura McGowan (technical director) said that the spirit of the broken little theatre is still alive and well because of how many problems the tech crew has already faced while adjusting to the new space. “[The most challenging part has been] moving to the new theatre in a time crunch,” crew member Brooklyn Harris (9) said. “…just making sure everything is ready in time.”

Both the sound and light board were not functioning properly at one point, the nicknamed “God Mic” is meant to be heard throughout the whole theatre but does not reach the booth. To top it all off the show that involves over 65 props and 313 costumes. Tech in the new theatre has been both a gift and a great challenge. 

The drama website has been upgraded as well. For the first time ever audience members can purchase tickets directly online where before tickets could only be reserved.

There’s a student assistant director and student musical director. This addition has been beneficial for the students to gain experience in a leadership role facilitating actors their own age. The assistant director Anica Johnston (12) has helped with blocking scenes, leading character work, and taking charge of technical projects. The assistant musical director Nich Vulic (12) has worked with Jessica Schlichting (Choir) in teaching the music to the cast.

The dance team is joining drama for the second year in a row after their performance in “Annie: The Musical” last spring. They are a crucial part of the show to bring strong technique and precision to our dance numbers. “I love getting to perform with everybody and see it all come together,” Dance team member Riley Peterson (12) said.

The 24 seniors involved make up about half of the cast and a large portion of the tech crew. This adds not a new element onstage but a new sense of urgency like the end of an era for the department backstage. Spamalot is Will LeGrandeur’s (12) first Sehome play. “I really just enjoy interacting with other cast members and seeing how everyone has improved from day one,” LeGrandeur said. 

But for this gaggle of seniors, the show will be the final hoorah of their time in the Sehome drama department and to the stage for all local audiences to see. However not just seniors are excited to share what they’ve built with audiences. Harris said she’s most excited for the audience to see how hard everyone worked to make this happen and experience the first play in the new theatre. Cast member Misty Garcia (12) said that the most challenging part has been the dancing. “Because I’m not a dancer and that was really hard for me, but it worked out in the end,” she said. “I’m most excited for the audience to see my potato burlap fantasy as Mrs. Galahad,” LeGrandeur said. All of this news being said, be sure to order your tickets and don’t miss out on Sehome High School Drama’s production of “Spamalot”, the play of endless firsts.

• Missing: One Holy Grail

Arts

Poetry Not Loud

• Arts

Drama One-Act Festival

• Missing: One Holy Grail

Arts

Greatest Sleepover Ever

• Missing: One Holy Grail

Arts

Valentine’s Day Blues

• Arts

Garth the Ghost Grows up

• Missing: One Holy Grail

Arts

The Music Man: Who Is Synder, Anyway?

• Missing: One Holy Grail

Arts

Drama starts production on Romeo & Juliet

• Arts

Choir, orchestra and band hit the road

• Arts

“Annie” leaves audiences stunned

• Arts

The choir celebrates with the season of love

The official news site of Sehome High School
Missing: One Holy Grail