Dancing to Districts

Dance team season heats up as the approach one of their most pivotal competitions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dancing to Districts

Nikka Mongue

Sehome’s dance team is heating up as the 2019 season nears one of the most important competitions of the year, districts at Kamiak High School in Mukilteo. Saturday, March 2nd will determine if the team continues to state.

This year’s competition season has been one of the best yet for Sehome’s dance team as they take home many victories. “The team has been doing great, challenging itself to improve its scores at every competition,” said Coach Selena Arciniega-Storey. “We have brought home medals at every competition we have been to, thanks to our first-year competitors, Ashlyn Karn, Lainie Mueller, Iris Hicks and Lea Borgesen, who have all placed in the top three in Novice Drill Downs.”

This year is also a monumental year for the team because they will be competing in the dance category along with pom for the first time at districts, “Not only that, but the piece that it is competing with is student choreographed. Captain Madison Dominguez, along with Officers Riley Peterson, Kellia Hoyle and Maysee Russell have been working hard collaborating on their piece titled, ‘Growing Up,’” said Arciniega-Storey.

Even with competition season soon ending, the dance team still operates year-round and will continue to compete and improve their skills at the “Beyond Boundaries” event hosted by Foundry 10 which is a student hip hop choreography competition that takes place May 18-19 in the Seattle area. “Foundry 10 assigns a theme and guidelines for the choreography and it’s up to the students to interpret the theme and create a dance” explains Arciniega-Storey, “It is always fun to see all the teams’ ideas come to life.”

All the girls on the team have an incredible amount of dedication towards the sport as it is four seasons long. Fiona Dent (11) is a current member of the competition team preparing for districts, “I’m looking forward to hopefully state and seeing all the other teams’ routines,” said Dent

Many of the girls on the team have been dedicated to the sport for their entire high school career. “We currently have three seniors who have been on the Sehome Dance Team for four years. We are so proud of Kirsten Oberlander, Riley Peterson and Kellia Hoyle and appreciate their commitment and hard work over the last four years and want to wish them all the best in their future endeavors,” said Arciniega-Storey.