Tennis season here we come

Girl's tennis kicks off with the spring sports season

Wyatt Rothenbuhler, Sports Editor

New season, new sports. Girls Tennis is going to get kicked off this spring, with eight spots on varsity. Practices start Monday, February 25th. Practices will last a hour and a half and will be located at Western University Tennis courts. Head coach Bonna Giller hopes to have the varsity team decided by Thursday the 28th.

Wyatt Rothenbuhler
The tennis season is beginning; the season started March 25th. So far, practices have been held inside due to weather, but the players are staying positive. “I’m really excited for this season, I’ve been waiting for it to start since we finished last year and I think the whole team has the same mentality,” Maya Busby (11) said.

Giller has had a dominate record over the many years she has coached. “I’ve been running the program 17 years,” Giller said. “During that time, we have earned six state titles. My overall boy’s conference record is 226-12. They won 12 conference titles and 14 district titles. The girl’s conference record is 205-42 with eight conference titles and six district titles.” When asked what motivates Giller to coach she said, “I am motivated to coach because I’m competitive. I love working with teenagers that give of themselves to get better at a sport. They chose to play as opposed to ‘have to’ play tennis. I love the youthful enthusiasm and energy that keeps me feeling younger”. Giller’s favorite memories in her 17 years of coaching are the state titles and coaching her son for four years on varsity.

One of Giller’s philosophy is never cutting anyone who plays on her team. She doesn’t believe in cutting people because tennis is a lifetime sport that can be enjoyed by all skill levels. “I don’t want to tell a kid they aren’t good enough to experience a great sport,” Giller said. “I hire coaches that embrace that philosophy.” She also believes in taking everything match by match. That is her coaching style.

I loved the community that Sehome tennis built”

— Janie Wilson

This philosophy for coaching tennis is reflected in the players attitudes. Haley Wilson, a Sehome alumni, is a perfect example of that. She first picked up a racket freshman year and ended up going to state last year. “I loved the community that Sehome tennis built and miss the constant encouragement and fun that was a part of everyday on the court,” Wilson said.

There are many excited returning players. “I am looking forward to bonding with my teammates and winning matches,”  Josie Studly (11) said. “This will be my third year playing. I have played since my freshman year. I decided to play tennis this year because I love the sport, my coaches, and teammates”.

The girls and Giller and looking forward to an exciting season and will try to improve on last years incredible record of 12-2 The team’s only loss was to Bellingham High School. “I look forward to all matches,” Giller said. “Not one is more important to me than the other. I’m a one match at a time coach.”

First match for Varsity is Wednesday, March 13th at Lynden. First home match will be against Sehome’s crosstown rivals, Bellingham High School, at 4pm at Whatcom Community College.