Winter sports wrap-up

Marsaili Morin, Features Editor

As Winter season comes to an end, we look back on the accomplishments made by the ladies and gentleman of Sehome High School in their battle for district and State spots for competition.

Beth Kealy
Coach Gillispie gets the boys pumped up in their pregame huddle against Lakewood. The boys basketball team made it all the way to district playoffs and lost to Liberty High School. “Don’t take it for granted,” Austin Roberts (12) said about his final Sehome basketball season.

Gearing up for this years Winter sports, the boy’s basketball team, had an overall season record of 13 wins and 7 losses.”Don’t take it for granted,” Austin Roberts (12) said while giving advice as he finishes up his last year of Sehome basketball. The boys made the district playoffs against Liberty, but in a close game, Sehome did not pull through with a win.

The girls basketball team started off the season right with a winning streak of four, and finished with an overall record of 7 wins and 14 losses. “I am looking forward to growing as a player and as a team,“ Maddie Schumacher (9) said. She also has 3 more years to go to build with her team. Unfortunately the girls will not be moving on to districts after losing their first game against Liberty.

Dance team makes their way to districts with a qualified pom and dance routine. This being the first time Sehome has had a dance category. “I’m proud to have been a member of the team that has been district champs and 3rd place at state last year,“ Kirsten Oberlander (12) said. The girls drive down to Kamiak high school in Mukilteo on March 2 to earn their spot for State competition.

Wrestling this year made it to districts and went to the Tacoma Dome to compete against many schools throughout our State. Andrew Waters(12) and Rem Schroyer(12) took the district champion title for both of their weight classes. “ I thought I was going to be way behind… and surprisingly I improved a lot from last year,” Waters said.

The girls gymnastics team stand on the podium.They won sub-districts and sent some of their girls off to state. “It went great, almost everyone made it to state,” Janie Wilson (11) said as she expressed her excitement for her teammates that made it to the next level.

Gymnastics pulled through with winning sub-districts and had almost all of their girls make it to State. Though Sehome had to combine with another district and did not make it as a team, the girls who made it through competed against some strong schools. “Competition this year was a lot tougher, but I think everyone did better individually,” Janie Wilson(11) said.

With a fresh start, the boys swim team, with half of a new team,  had a great season. They had nine of the boys compete at State and got second in their division. “Finding out I made it to districts,” Gus Ringo(11) said as he described what his favorite memory was from this season.