Sehome’s Staff Alumni

The students who became the teachers!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sehome’s Staff Alumni

Susan Auld, Dominic Ghiradini and Kevin Ryan are featured in their transition from their senior year photos at Sehome High School to their current staff photos. Throughout the years, clear changes have occurred to their physical appearances, but they still remain the same individuals. “The hair is less blonde, the beard is longer, but the butt chin is still rockin.” Ghiradini said.

Blake Zimmermann

Blake Zimmermann

Blake Zimmermann

As time with the original school’s building comes to a close, it’s always good to reflect on our history, and those who may have the most history with our school are arguably our staff who also happen to be alumni.

About a fourth of the current teachers and other staff were also Sehome students back in the day, and have had a unique experience due to being able to directly compare both their learning and teaching career in the same location.

Each alumni has memories about our old building both in their learning past, as well as their teaching career. “As a student, my favorite memory at Sehome was eating lunch in the language courtyard.” said Susan Auld.

Some teachers even have memories of rooms that are completely different or now serve a different purpose. “I remember using the ‘Dark Room’. What is now Randelle Crawford’s art closet was a room for developing film in my photography class.” Dominic GhiradinI said, “It helped me become a decent photographer.”

Not all teachers had a specific location they preferred, but simply the style of building that we have. “I really love the California design, especially the courtyards,” said Kevin Ryan, “I felt like a campus, not just a building.”

Favorite memories and attributes of the old Sehome as staff include Mr. Ghiradini’s Whistling Club, which he led a couple years back when there was a surprising amount of student interest with about 50 students.

Ghiradini also mentioned his love for the blooming trees in the language courtyard during the spring, during which time he would watch students play hackeysack.

Auld said she was sad to lose the “colorful variety” of chairs in tables in her classroom, and how it would be odd to have a lack of competition over better chairs.

Ryan said he would miss the connected grass fields for cross country, as well as no longer having a large athletic storage and locker space.

Even though these alumni are sad to see the old school go, they have plenty of things they are personally looking forward to in the new building.

Ryan said he is quite excited for the new turf field specifically, as well as the new Commons. “The atmosphere makes it feel like a more inclusive community space,” Ryan said. He also praises that the lack of a California layout will take away the problem of puddles around campus.

Auld said she is looking forward to the new science classrooms, due to its inclusion of larger sinks, and functioning electrical and gas systems. “It’s a science room designed for lab work, which is quite lacking in our current location,” Auld said.

“A baller, beautiful space.” is how Ghiradini describes the new building. He believes that students will be impressed, and will love the convenience of the single building.

Auld voiced her concern over the lack of outside walkways, which will prevent students from getting any fresh air throughout their school day. Not only this, but Auld was also concerned about the “niceness” of the building, and how both students and staff will have to be much more careful than we are now with the building in order to preserve its quality.

Overall though, the movement forward will hopefully be great for everyone, even if some people don’t get the full experience. “At least the seniors get one semester!” said Ryan.