Life before Sehome

What did your teacher do before they taught here?

EGBERTStewart Egbert has been teaching high school for 40 years now. Before it all started, Egbert began playing football at his high school in Portland from which he graduated from in the late 1960’s. “I played at a large high school where over 1100 people graduated in my class, so there was a lot of talent in sports,” Egbert said. He then went on to play college football at Central Washington University as strong safety and Outside Linebacker while in the midst of earning his teaching degree. After attending Central Washington, he attended graduate school and earned his master’s degree.

CASEYBefore Shannon Casey’s teaching career began, she studied abroad in England for a year at Oxford University when she was 23. While there she studied Irish literature, British literature, and rowed on the novice crew team. Before she studied abroad, she attended the University of Texas at Austin, where she received her Bachelor’s degree in English, and soon after went to graduate school and received her Master’s degree in English and Deaf Education. After graduate school, she spent the next five years beginning her teaching career teaching English to deaf students at Texas School for the Deaf. She then taught in Virginia at a college prep school.

VISBennett Vis graduated from Trinity Western with a Bachelor’s degree in mathematics. Vis worked at a door factory for a year where he was in charge of shipping and receiving of the product. “I was in charge of the inventory coming in and the inventory going out” Vis said. “It was a terrible job and a stressful work environment, so stressful that I developed Psoriasis.” After working for the door factory, he and his wife moved to Bellingham, where he attended Western Washington University for two years and received his Master’s.

KERRAfter Mark Kerr graduated high school he worked at a number of different restaurants and Rockwall construction until he was 23 years old. He then attended college in Western Kentucky, studied abroad in Kenya for a year, and then studied philosophy and history in Wales. “Back then you could work a single summer and afford a year of college.” Kerr later received his teaching certificate at WWU with a Bachelor’s in philosophy and a Bachelor’s in history. He taught for five years in Bremerton, three years in Bainbridge, and spent two years teaching in Taiwan since his salary was doubled there.

EUBANK  After college, Shannon Eubank worked in the ski patrol in the Sierra Nevada’s and also worked as a wilderness ranger. In college, she studied political science and received her master’s degree at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She later began to teach at Bainbridge High School, and then taught Humanities in Kathmandu at Nepal International School. She taught in Nepal for one year, and then took a year off to raise her newborn.